Christmas recipe 2
Low Fat Christmas pudding
- 75g (3 oz.) currants
- 75g (3 oz.) sultanas
- 115g (4 oz.) raisins
- 75g (3 oz.) cherries
- 75g (3 oz.) plain flour
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 50g (2 oz.) fresh breadcrumbs
- 50g (2 oz.) brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons gravy browning
- 4 tablespoons brandy, rum or beer
- Grated zest of ½ lemon and orange
- 115g (4 oz.) grated apple
- 115g (4 oz.) grated carrot
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 tablespoons of skimmed milk
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- Combine all the dry pudding ingredients together in one bowl and al the wet ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones and mix together well. Continue mixing until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Pour the pudding mixture into a 1 litre (2lb) pudding basin or a heatproof glass bowl, cover with aluminium foil and tie in place.
- Place the basin in a steamer and cook, covered, for 3 hours, topping up the water if necessary. Do not allow it to boil dry.
[To reheat on Christmas Day, you can steam the pudding for 1-2 hours or microwave for 10 minutes. When cooked, carefully run a knife around the edge of the basin and then turn out onto a serving plate. Drizzle 4 tablespoons of brandy or rum over the top. If wished, you can set it alight and serve it flaming.]