Lemon Drizzle Cake
- 150g low-fat spread, plus extra to grease
- 180g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 200g ground almonds
- 250g mashed potato (mashed without milk or spread; see tip)
- Zest of 3 lemons, plus extra to decorate
- 2tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 2tsp icing sugar, to dust
For the lemon drizzle
- 4tbsp caster sugar
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/ fan 160°C/gas 4. Grease and line a 20x30cm baking tray with baking paper.
- Using an electric hand mixer, cream the low-fat spread and 180g sugar together in a mixingbowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, then fold in the ground almonds, mashed potato, zest of 3 lemons and baking powder.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking tray, then bake for 40–45 min until lightly golden and firm to the touch. Cool in the tin for 5 min, then turn out on to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the lemon drizzle: put the sugar and lemon zest and juice in a small pan. Cook, stirring, over a low heat until the sugar dissolves. Continue cooking and stirring for a further 3 min or until slightly thickened.
- Prick the top of the cooled cake all over with a skewer. Drizzle over the syrup, then set aside for 1 hr.
- To serve, lightly dust the cake with the icing sugar, decorate with extra lemon zest, then cut into 20 squares.
TIP 2 medium baking potatoes should be about right for this recipe. Scrub and prick them all over, then microwave or steam until tender before mashing.
Nutrition per serving