This recipe is egg free This recipe is dairy free This recipe is gluten free This recipe is wheat free Suitable for vegans Nut free
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
2 oranges or grapefruits
300g rhubarb, sliced
100g strawberries, cut in half (optional)
A few drops of vanilla extract
8 tsp white sugar to top each heat proof dish
1. Zest the oranges or grapefruits, then peel with a knife. Slice the fruit horizontally, remove the centre section and cut the slices into segments. Set to one side.
2. Place the rhubarb, strawberries (if using), 1/2 tsp zest, vanilla extract and 20g sugar into a pan. Simmer on a low light for 10 minutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
3. Divide the rhubarb between four heat proof dishes.
4. Arrange the orange or grapefruit segments to cover the rhubarb completely.
5. Sprinkle 2 tsp of sugar onto the top of each heatproof dish and immediately place the dishes under a hot grill until the sugar starts to melt and caramelise. (This can also be done with a catering blow torch.) Allow to cool before serving.
© The Vegetarian Society 2014